Thursday, January 22, 2009

Three ways to use blog in the classroom


1. I could use my blog as a place to keep my teaching journals. I am still a student teacher and I don’t have much teaching experience so far. Therefore, keeping journals to reflect my own teaching is a great way for me to keep record of my progress. I could write down events and ideas for the purpose of later reflection. In the process of writing, it might trigger some insights about teaching. Therefore, writing blogs about my own teaching experience could serve as a discovery process. Also, I could post some problems which I cannot solve on my blogs. Other teachers might give me some constructive suggestions. Blog is a great place to share, discuss and discover.
2. I could also use the blog as a part of the teaching and learning. I could post class-related information such as syllabus, homework and other materials on the blog for students to refer to. It’s just like the UB-Learns we are using right now.
3. Blogs can be used to make the classroom more collaborative and interactive. I can post not only class-related information, but also activities, discussion topics, links to additional information about topics students are studying in class, and readings to inspire learning. Students would be asked to post their reponses and ideas to questons and topics. They could also be asked to comment on each others’ respones just as we did in this class. This commenting feature will help students to develop language skills and also promote group learning.
Besides the above ways of using blogs in the classroom, there are other ways also. For example, I could involve parents into the teaching and learning process. They could monitor their children’s learning and give me some suggestions at the same time.

5 comments:

  1. Great ideas for your blog. I love the cat.
    Where are you student teaching? I thought the journal was great. It allowed me to look at what I had done, what I could do, but also a place to put my feelings about how things went in the classroom. Its a great tool for student teachers and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taught in International Institute last semester. Since I am in TESOL program, not ESOL, I don't have many chances to teach. I am in China right now and my roomate helps me to take care of my cat. I miss him so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Yang on the blog!! I love the idea of reflecting on your teaching experience thus far. I wish that I keep a better record of my thoughts and I am sure the reflection will only make you a better teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yang,
    I think blogs can be a very good place for reflecting on learning as a student teacher. Remember, however, that your reflections are visible to the whole blogosphere unless you change the settings.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. You remind me!I should keep my reflections in private to aviod unnecessary trouble.

    ReplyDelete